Make Everyday Earth Day
Earth Day shouldn’t be about making big changes one day a year. It should be about making small, impactful changes everyday.
Below are changes you can make everyday to make our planet cleaner, healthier, and happier.
If there is only one change you can make, it should be this one:
- Reduce your use of single-use plastic, such as shopping bags, produce bags, straws, coffee cup lids, water bottles, and more.
- Use reusable shopping bags and produce bags. Bonus: some stores, such as Target, offer a discount when you bring your own bags
- Use your own reusable cup when ordering at a coffee shop. Starbucks offers a discount when you bring your own cup
- Carry reusable cutlery and straws with you
- Refill a reusable water bottle
It’s estimated that over 100,000 marine mammals and over 1 million sea birds die by plastic every year. Quitting our culture’s addiction to plastic may seem like a near impossibility – but some single-use plastics are easier to avoid than others. – #ActionForWater
More changes you can make:
- Ride your bike or carpool
- Donate your clothing or host a swap party with friends
- Repurpose items. T-shirts can be turned into pillows or purses, books can be turned into wreaths, wine bottles can be used as vases, etc.
- For clothing that can’t be donated, consider recycling it instead of throwing it in the garbage
- Replace light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs
- Turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth and take shorter showers
- Recycle your old electronics. Visit Recycle Nation to find a place near you
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room. Better yet – replace your bulbs with energy-efficient motion-sensored lights, so you never have to worry about turning the lights on and off
- Recycle! Almost all plastic, paper, aluminum, and glass can be recycled. Check your local office to see how it should be separated.
- Organize a community clean-up. Spend the day correctly disposing of litter in your area.
- Buy secondhand or borrow from a friend. ThriftBooks is a great option for books, while there are many thrift stores (online & brick-and-mortar) around the world.
- Purchase products that are eco-friendly. Many brands are coming out with less-waste products that have recyclable packaging
- Replace paper napkins with cloth napkins
- Sign up for electronic statements instead of receiving paper statements in the mail
- Support your local farmers market by purchasing produce directly from the farmer (don’t forget your reusable bags!)
- Plant a bee garden to help bees thrive and survive
- Install solar panels
- Print on both sides of the paper or go digital!
- Make your own cleaning products
- Invest in sustainable fashion instead of fast fashion
- Educate yourself! Stay in-the-know about what’s happening around us, and stay educated on how to remain eco-friendly.
Not only do these changes impact our planet by reducing waste and keeping it clean, but in some instances, it can save you money! Saving the planet and saving money – what more could you ask for?!